Friday, August 28, 2009

Subject scoping

I have started to think about my research strategy, and have implemented some of my desired techniques. I wish to get a general overview of the subject before narrowing down to specific areas. I anticipate that most of my resources will be print based, with some use of the SLV website. I will study mostly books, but if anything seems greatly inquisitive I might work on reading newspaper articles, etc.

I have searched Libraries Australia for any resources about the subject (LCSH: State Library of Victoria - History). Every record that came up was in the SLV. Certainly not a collection area that's out of place! Replicating the same searches through the SLV catalogue I found more than on Libraries Australia. Obviously LA isn't as comprehensive as some hold it to be. The most impressive resource was a bibliography specifically about the history of the SLV. It was only published in 2002, and is 120pages. A very valuable resource, and one I am going to explore quite early.

Hopefully after some reading I will get a scope of the topic, and be able to better plot my next step.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Wayne,

    Assuming you are researching the history of the State Library, have you seen this resource?

    State Library of Victoria : a Bibliography of Our History

    http://guides.slv.vic.gov.au/libib

    It could be of some use to you.

    Regards,
    Sally Stewart, Librarian.

    ReplyDelete